Friday, May 13, 2011

Garlic Mushroom and Cheese Bruschetta



Bruschetta is the one of the very few Italian words I recognized. Spaghetti, marcaroni, gnocchi, pizza, tiramisu, calamaretti, gelato, that's the best I could do. 

I remember one evening in New York, my mother and I were really hungry and had no idea what to eat. We randomly hit an Italian restaurant, got a nice little candle-lit table and struggled with the menu under the very dim light. Certo! Bruschetta was the first word I managed to spot so I ordered one topped with finely diced tomatoes, onions, drizzle of olive oil and a slash of balsamic vinaigrette. Loved it. I still remember the taste of it.

Now I am making my own bruschetta for dad's breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so it is worth the effort! One of our professors once told us a joke that justice depends on what the judge ate for breakfast!

Like most Italian food, bruschetta is nice and simple. You just have to toast the bread, rub in it some garlic, drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil and season it with salt and freshly ground pepper. 

I topped it with my favorite ingredients, white button mushrooms, garlic and cheese! Sprinkled some rosemary too. I have to admit that I was being very lazy (and hey! it's early in the morning!), instead of grating the cheese, I used processed cheese slice instead! ;p It still tastes great but I would recommend those who try this recipe to use freshly grated cheese instead, the aroma is different.

Recipe inspired by that in Donal Skehan's Mushroom Bruschetta. Feel free to top the bruschetta with your favorite ingredients, that will make your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment